Getting the perfect looking lips is all the rage nowadays. Lip glosses are a great product to go for not only have your lips looking luscious, but to also help hydrate your lips and keep them soft and plump!
However, it can be extremely hard to find the perfect lip gloss for you, at the colour and texture you want that isn’t priced ridiculously high.
Well, there is a way you can get your perfect lip gloss, of whatever colour you want, without having to break the bank. All you need to do is make your own!
Making your own lip gloss is not only cheaper, but it is also so much fun! You can grab a friend or family member and make some lip gloss together as a fun activity. It’s especially something that can help bring some enjoyment to the current situation the world is in and the long days spent at home.
How do you make lip gloss at home? Well, keep reading to find out.
This method that you can follow to make your very own lip gloss is not only extremely easy to follow, but also involves using only the natural ingredients! Also, this method will allow you to make 14 whole 10ml tubes of lip gloss. How amazing is that?! You can also alter the amounts of each ingredient so you can make more or less lip gloss.
- Take 4 tablespoons of rapeseed or olive oil, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of cocoa or shea butter and 2 tablespoons of cosmetic grade beeswax. Add all of these ingredients into a medium or large measuring cup. You want to pick a jug that will be easy for pouring your lip gloss into containers later on.
In terms of whether to use cocoa or shea butter, the main difference between them is how they will make the lip gloss smell. Using cocoa butter will give the lip gloss more of a chocolatey smell, whereas shea butter is a lot sweeter and will give your lip gloss a lovely honey scent.
- Take a large pot or large pan and fill it with about 2 inches of water. Place the measuring cup inside this pot.
- Put your pot on the stove and turn it on to a medium heat. This will heat up the water, and eventually cause the mixture inside the measuring cup to melt completely. It should probably take about 10 or 15 minutes. Take the pot off the heat once the mixture inside has melted.
- Now you need to take 3 vitamin E capsules and cut the ends off them. You then need to squeeze the contents of the capsule into the melted mixture inside of the measuring cup. Do make sure, however, that you don’t add the actual shell of the capsule. This can be discarded once you have emptied it of its contents.
Vitamin E is what helps make this lip gloss something that will not only make your lips look stunning but will help make them feel amazing too! This is because vitamin E has antioxidant properties, which can help to protect your lips from oxidative stress and therefore keep them feeling healthy.
- If you want a clear lip gloss, and you would like to keep the chocolatey, honey scent too then you can skip this step.
To make the color of the gloss much deeper, you should add about 1 to 8 teaspoons of rose red mica powder to the melted mixture in the measuring cup. Add as much as you like until you are happy with the color. Just be aware that the more you add, the darker the gloss will be. If you want to create a subtle, natural, nourishing lip balm then it’s probably a good idea not to add the mica powder.
You can also add about 6 drops of orange essential oil, and 3 drops of lavender essential oil to the melted mixture. These will change the scent of the gloss, so it is completely dependent upon what sort of scent you like as to whether you add these essential oils. You can even try using different oils so you can make the lip gloss even more perfect for you. For example, if you love the smell of mint then why not add some peppermint essential oil!
- Mix the whole mixture together well and then pour into lip gloss containers. The mixture should still be warm at this point. You will probably need about 14 containers overall. You can find these easily on amazon, and you can pick whatever type of container you like! You could maybe get some little pots, great for if you want this to be more of a lip balm.
- Once you have poured all of the mixture into containers you need to leave them to cool for about 20 minutes.
- All that’s left to do now is ENJOY!!
How easy was that?! There you can make your own batch of lip gloss from the comfort of your own home, using completely natural ingredients. It will help you to battle dry, crusty lips and the fact it costs so little to make means it will also help you to save a lot of money. In fact, you could even try and make some money from these lip glosses and sell a few!
Read more: How to Remove Whiteheads at Home
Due to the fact that this lip gloss contains only natural ingredients, once opened and exposed to water it will probably stay fresh and last for about a week. So just make sure you keep those spare lip glosses sealed tightly and stored in a safe, dry place and they can stay fresh and ready to use for a good amount of time!
So, why not try and make some lip gloss today?! You will probably realise that you have a lot of the ingredients in the house already, and then the rest will be easy to acquire. It will be so much fun and trust me, your lips will thank you for it after. Your lips will look plump, kissable and feel luxuriously smooth!