In what states can a same-sex couple be listed on a child’s birth certificate?

Your questions answered by Diana Adams, Esq, LGBT Lawyer and Family Mediator


My partner and I live in a state where same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, and same-sex second parent adoptions are not legal (Michigan). We want to give birth to our child in a state where we both can be listed on the original birth certificate. In what states can both of us be listed as parents on the birth certificate? Does our unmarried status affect being listed on the birth certificate in any state (as in, are only married same-sex partners allowed to be listed as co-parents on the birth certificate)?

I have looked high and low for an answer, and my research skills are exhausted!

Many thanks,


By Diana Adams, Esq, LGBT Lawyer and Family Mediator

Unfortunately, no state routinely permits both members of an unmarried same-sex couple to be listed on a baby’s birth certificate. Being listed on a birth certificate often goes hand-in-hand with marriage as a same-sex couple. Married same-sex couples may benefit from the ‘presumption of paternity’ that has traditionally been accorded to the birth-mother’s male spouse, but unmarried couples are left with neither that presumption nor a physical or genetic link to justify immediate listing. Even if you were listed on one state’s birth certificate, states do not have an obligation to recognize another state’s birth certificates for the purpose of identifying the child’s legal parents, so the value of being on the birth certificate together may be entirely symbolic

Let’s dig deeper to get at the underlying goal you may wish to achieve with the birth certificate. Often, this goal is family stability: as the parent who did not give birth to the child, you need to ensure that your parenting rights and responsibilities are acknowledged and respected, and that your role in this child’s life is made clear from the outset.

The best way to protect your relationship with your child as a non-biological parent is through second-parent adoption, in which the non-biological parent adopts the child with consent of the birth mother (or original adoptive parent), without terminating the parental rights of the first parent. (If the genetic father is not an anonymous donor, his consent may be required as well). This process helps many lesbian parents in states that do not allow same-sex marriage. In fact, second-parent adoption is a more powerful protector of your parenting relationship than marriage, because same-sex marriage will not be accepted in all states but states must honor the second-parent adoptions of other states.

Some states permit second-parent adoptions for same-sex couples that have not yet legalized same-sex marriages. The closest state to you in this category is Indiana. However, state laws related to LGBT families are shifting rapidly. In some states, its still unclear whether a lesbian partner could adopt as a second parent- so if you feel brave, you could be a test case! (Get the latest update on your state and others nearby at Residency requirements for second-parent adoptions vary, so check with an LGBT friendly adoption lawyer in the state in which you may want to adopt.

Status as a legal parent of your child will protect your rights to make medical and educational decisions for your child, which can be crucial particularly if the birth parent is not available. The greatest risk of not having status is a legal parent is that if you and your partner split up or if your partner dies, you may have absolutely no rights to custody or visitation of your child, even if you’ve been an involved parent and caretaker.

How should you protect your parenting rights if second-parent adoption is not an option?
None of these measures will offer the ironclad legal security of adoption, but they can assist in maintaining and proving a parental role in the child’s life as a non-birth mother. Speak to an LGBT-friendly family law and estate planning attorney in your state to explore the following options.

  1. Co-Parenting Agreement- A co-parenting agreement is a legal contract that allows a couple (or nonromantic co-parents, or a polyamorous triad or quad) to clearly delineate their intentions about the rights and responsibilities of each parent. A co-parenting agreement may include very general responsibilities, down to minutiae of weekly childcare. A strong agreement will include a custody/ visitation plan before any separation occurs, authorization for the non-biological parent to give consent for the child’s medical care access, and a clear intention for the non-birth mother to share the legal rights and responsibilities of a parent. Please visit my site for more information on co-parenting agreements.
  2. Pre-birth Order- Some jurisdictions may allow a court proceeding during the course of the pregnancy that declares the parental status of the future baby. This pre-birth order can then be presented to a hospital to have a non-biological parent listed on a birth certificate.
  3. Wills and Estate Planning- In order to ensure that a child of a same-sex couple stays with the non-birth parent in case of the birth parent’s death, it is crucial to execute a will that leaves the non-birth parent as guardian of the child. You may also wish to execute Power of Attorney documents with your partner to share finances even if you are unable to marry, a health care proxy for medical decisions between partners, and other estate planning documents.
  4. Guardianship- Petition your local family or probate court for voluntary guardianship of a minor. Some courts will allow a same-sex partner to become a guardian, but this may be difficult to predict. The non-biological mom should then be co-guardian with the legal mother so that she is not “instead of” but “in addition to.” You should get copies of the appointment document to provide to the child’s doctor or school. Even if you’re not allowed to do this by a court, execute a consent to emergency medical treatment for the non-biological parent.

Despite the extra effort involved in legal parenting as a same-sex female couple, keep in mind that you are protecting your relationship with your child and creating precedents that can help protect the rights of other lesbian parents in the future. Best wishes for a happy family!

Diana Adams is an LGBT lawyer mediator who assists in the creation of stable family agreements, including sperm donor agreements, second-parent adoptions, co-parenting agreements, intentional premarital agreements, co-habitation agreements, and respectful collaborative divorce and child custody. Her practice is based in New York City and Albany, NY.

Got a question? Send it to us here and we’ll do our best to find the answer.


  1. Emily says:

    In both OR and WA, non-gestational mothers’ names can go directly on the birth certificate if the parents are registered domestic partners. Second-parent adoptions are also extremely easy to obtain in both states. Good luck!

  2. Jo says:

    Thanks for this info, however…
    I’m a non-biological or non-genetic birth mother who is also an intended parent (not merely a surrogate), with my wife is the intended second parent while also being the genetic mother. How does this difference affect our legal parental rights and responsibilities?


  3. RO says:

    I am a non-bio parent. Our daughter was born in 2008 and I have been through the terrible highs and lows of emotions because the bio mom stop letting me visit our daughter after she found a new partner.
    Sheer ignorance is my plea for trusting a person who said,”No matter what happens between us, I would never stop you from visiting our daughter.” We weren’t married but we did purchase a home together like most do. Never in a million years did I ever once ponder that my relationship would be cut off with my daughter just because the mother could.
    It cuts deep when you think you know someone but then one day, you see a different side that you never thought they had. It’s been 2 years now since I’ve had any communication and it tears me apart to not know what story the mom has told our daughter why I am not there.
    All I know is the day I actually got to visit with her briefly, she hugged me so hard and said, ‘Is it really you…I’ve missed you so very, very much!” And that was the last embrace we shared. I myself come from divorce parents and know what its like to feel like my daughter….totally helpless, under the rule of adults who are only thinking of themselves and not the childs welfare. So my question is this, “In the state of Maryland, can I make a visit to my child when she’s 14?” Is that an age where the courts can take her judgement over the mothers regarding visitation?

  4. John O says:

    I Marched on Washington back in 1992 When Pres Clinton was in office, This had 3 Million Marchers & almost that many spectators. I came out when I was 16 & in High Shool Student & that was in 1989 (BTW I am only 40). That was very hard for me as a High Shool Student to be OPENLY GAY in 1989. I fought for Gay rights for 26yrs & Continue to fight. I am very lucky to live in a state (CT) where I can get married. My Husband & I have a VERY blessed life with money & our families DON’T CARE & EMBRACE & LOVE US & my gram was in her 70′s & & my Hubby’s Parent’s are 74 & 76(He was an oops baby) & The Love me & us & They don’t care. If MY 70something Grandmother & His 70something Parents can accept gay people then the world can. It Should NOT be so hard for Gay men & woman to Adopt. Str8 People can have as many children as they want, whether They can afford them or not or on drugs or abuse them BUT Gay Men & Woman either can’t adopt depending on the state or it is so hard to adopt. A- Every state should have gay marriage & it MUST BECOME FEDERAL & B- Adoption needs to be just as easy for gay people as it is for straight people. People are people & yes as Lady Gaga would say “We are born this way” so put your gay pride flags up.

  5. Joni says:

    What about DC? The second parent is allowed to be named on the birth certficiate, regardless of gender:

  6. Kristen says:

    New York State allowed two mothers on a baby’s birth certificate. My wife gave birth to our daughter in August, and my name is listed beneath hers as second mother.


Leave a Comment

The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only, and is not to be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment or legal opinions. It's Conceivable provides stories and articles for informational purposes only—please do not consider it as legally-binding advice of any kind and consult your own medical professional or attorney.