Document Checklist for Second Parent Adoption

Hallo! While the documents you need to complete second parent adoption may vary state by state and judge by judge, a good friend of mine who is going through second parent adoption in Brooklyn recently provided me with the list that was required of her, which I thought was a useful thing, whether you are in NYC, Sacramento, or Chicago. Please note it is not a guarantee that this is all you’ll need, less than you’ll need, or more than you’ll need. It’s at least an indication of what you might expect in a gay-friendly state like New York when having to adopt the child of your partner.

My friend ended up having to buy a credit report to get the addresses she needed (addresses going back 20+ years in order to clear the child abuse screening), so you can be sure any adoption document list will not necessarily a piece of cake. Take a glance at what she needed in Brooklyn to help you prepare for what you might need in a similar state:

Certified Copy of Child’s Birth Certificate
Notification or Report of Adoption to Board of Health
Attorney’s Affidavit of Financial Disclosure
Physical Certification of Adoptive Parents and Child Dated within 1 Year
Adoptive Child Medical History
Affidavit of Marital History
Certified Copy of Adoptive Parent Divorce Decree (If applicable)
Certified Copy of Death Certificate of Spouse of Adoptive Parent (If applicable)
Criminal History Fingerprints
Child Abuse Registry Clearance
Home Study or Report of Investigation
Consent to Have Case Heard by Judicial Hearing Officer
Office of Court Administration Affidavit Receipt

Have you gone through a second parent adoption in NY or another state? Add to the list in the comments below or email us at contact at

Leave a Comment

The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only, and is not to be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment or legal opinions. It's Conceivable provides stories and articles for informational purposes only—please do not consider it as legally-binding advice of any kind and consult your own medical professional or attorney.